Friday, May 2, 2008

It there a draft or is someone venting?

Today, I went to the mechanic’s shop to get an oil change for my car and they had a special going on that I was unaware of: with every oil change comes a free kick in the crotch. At least that what it feels like when you get an estimate of over 1500 bucks from the nice man who gave your car a “courtesy all-points inspection.” How thoughtful…

Now they call this a courtesy but I don’t think I have ever heard anyone say, “Wow, you just made my day! How courteous of you.” Instead, the nice man hands you a very neatly written estimate with a smile that sounds like “cha-ching” and waits while you gulp down the scream that almost escaped and opt for a more civil, and less frightening, “Holy Crap!” Upon the second look, your wallet jumps out of your back pocket and runs into the bathroom where it promptly hangs itself in the shower.

I guess I wouldn’t be so discomposed had this list contained potentially catastrophic repairs but that just wasn’t the case. It was only a couple of belts, tensioners, and a ball joint. All of which could make your day miserable, but none that would threaten your life.

I can’t say that I’m surprised by all this because I knew that buying a BMW would be a costly endeavor but it doesn’t stop me from wondering why these parts are so expensive.

Apparently every nut, bolt, and screw is specially designed by German engineers then hand made and gold plated by elves in a workshop at the end of the rainbow making each part not only rare, but magically expensive. At least that’s the story sounds the most probable to me…oy.

1 comment:

sherlock said...

After searching through every post comment I ever recieved, I finally found yours. So I found your blog. Again.

The downside was having to read my absoluteley awful posts. Ew.